November, 23 2018
Don’t you hate that feeling when you first realize you are catching a cold or a flu? I do too, but after many years I recognize a graceful art to beating back the bugs.
First, notice your mental/emotional response to getting sick. For me, there are clear steps: Denial, then frustration, then surrender. Have compassion for yourself.
Second, take potent herbal and nutrient supplements every 2-3 hours. Your immune system is fighting a heroic battle and needs quick reinforcements. Broths and herbal teas help. Sugar actually lowers your immune strength.
Third, Rest. I know it’s hard to cancel out, but do your best and retreat alone to a warm room.
Sometimes this approach beats the bugs right away, other times it shortens the duration. So far it has always prevented a cold or a flu of mine from developing into bronchitis or pneumonia. What amazes me is that when I take really good care of myself, I recover feeling renewed, and even better than before I got sick. It feels like the difference between dragging yourself out of a hole to blossoming into a new chapter.
I wrote this after I got a flu with 3 days of fever last winter. After 7 days, I felt wonderful.
Little Colds and Flu’s
It’s such a bummer when they hit.
First comes the tickle in the throat
Together with denial.
No! No! No! No! No!
This can’t be happening to me!
I didn’t do anything wrong!
I don’t have time to be sick!
This isn’t fair!
The mental calculations start.
What do I have to cancel?
What happens if I miss that deadline?
How much income will I lose?
Will my relationships suffer?
Can I still beat it?
Then there is surrender to the inevitable.
I am overtaken. I am invaded.
My body is heavy with the virus.
Breathing, swallowing and talking are uncomfortable.
I don’t want to share it or spread it,
So I shut the door to the outside world.
I circle around my home, at first trying to do chores,
Then I curl into myself, spiraling inward.
Day after day the viral invasion won’t budge.
I burst into tears feeling sorry for myself.
If it’s particularly bad, I scribble out a will in case I don’t wake up.
I probably won’t die, but there is a feeling of the end –
The death of myself as a functioning and fun-loving person.
I believe in nourishing self-care so I feed myself well,
I dose myself every few hours with herbs and supplements.
I take hot baths, gargle with salt water and sleep.
I watch so many videos my mind is numb.
One morning I wake up and feel lighter
Like a bear, I emerge from the cave
Something in me is renewed
Like seeds sparked by fire to sprout in blackened soil.
My spirit unfurls to welcome the day.
Here are some of the supplements I take:
- Immunotone Plus: A blend of 3 medicinal mushrooms with elderberry, astragalus and echinacea to inhibit cold and flu viruses.
- ImmunoBerry Liquid: A liquid version. I often do both Immunotone and Immunoberry together.
- Liposomal Cat’s Claw: A new highly absorbable and powerful blend of cat’s claw with monolaurin, lemon balm, and vitamin D. This boosts the immune system.
- Monolaurin-Avail – A potent destroyer of viruses and bacteria such as herpes simplex 1, 2 and viridae, the Epstein Barr virus, and the influenza virus
- Allicillin – Supports the body’s defense against fungal, viral or bacterial conditions
You may want to add:
- Vitamin D Complex: includes all the fat soluble vitamins which work best together to support the immune system.
- Liposomal Vitamin C: an especially absorbable form of C that boosts immunity.
NOTE: Stock up before you get sick because the first days are crucial. I always make sure I have my home and travel bag stocked with immune fighting products so I can stop the bug as soon as I feel that scratchy feeling in my throat.